Wednesday 13 January 2016

Confessions of a Lotus-eater...


The pain train arrived about midnight last night.
I could feel it was on its way by the vibrations as sensation slowly returned to my toes. Inevitable. I felt a curious hint of relief when it finally arrived. Let's just do this and see what it's like. 

Pain is personal. It's a bit like describing a colour. It is, of course, relative and requires a context. 
We all cope with pain in different ways. I like to think that I am a toughie. I had always coped with dental pain so thirty odd years ago I sailed into childbirth thinking it would be a breeze. After ten minutes, I decided it was not, and put in an immediate request for drink, drugs and rock and roll .  

 Whilst I hope my daily accounts have provided riveting reading over the cocoa, this is really what Bunionistas truly want to know about. What is the pain like? 

At the moment, not 24 hours after the surgery it feels as though a ten ton truck has reversed over my left foot .. ( A bit of guess work going on here... a close encounter with a wheelie bin once is as close as comparable in terms of wheel-life experience. Strewth! Even I didn't see that one coming. Boy, these co-codamol are good. Did you know they were opiates?  Not major league, but..) 
Sensation has returned to my toes but wiggling them isn't an option at present. I can however flex my finely-turned ankle (opiates still in evidence).
So in all seriousness, overall pain is being well-managed with the  use of Co-codamol and Ibuprofen. 
The surgical boot is light, easy to put on and enables me to walk on my heel. 
No Crutch on offer. Shame really. I had envisaged a lot of Crutch-pointing as part of my recuperation. 

Post-script: Glucosamine arrived. Anyone know any horses?

1 comment: