Sunday 3 January 2016

One red bauble remains...

When waving someone off at the station, I have never been one to linger. Confront the inevitable. So it is with Christmas decorations in the New Year. Painful as it is to undecorate the house, there is no point in waiting til Twelfth Night. So today was the appointed day for dismantling, deconstructing, boxing, and humping many boxes up the stairs.
Dearest husband at the merest whiff of intense household activity heads for the office to take the curse off Monday morning (applying same principle as outlined above). This doesn't trouble me in so far as this is the way it is and has been ever thus, but it is not a good day for Bunion.
The energetic forays up and down stairs have left Bunion red and bulbous, resembling, with a hint of poetic licence, the baubles that I have carefully wrapped. Could that be a sprinkling of sparkle around the big toe? More than likely, as the whole operation was conducted barefoot.
Part of the determination to return to normality is that preparations have to take place to ensure the house is ready for my post-operative return.
It was when my husband recently caught me practising my backward bum-shuffle up the stairs, and noticed me developing my upper arm strength by raising cans of Baked beans during the Ten o'clock news (what an old girl has to do to get noticed these days?) that he suggested that we brought a bed downstairs to save me the effort of negotiating stairs.
This of course, is an excellent idea. Although it did take a near miss with a can of Heinz for me  to realise it.
So I have to be ahead in order to orchestrate the rearrangement of several pieces of furniture, and turn the study downstairs into a temporary boudoir whereby my drawer for tablecloths becomes a knicker drawer. Too much information? Sorry, but one has to be practical and I have to tell it how it is. Entre-nous, I am a little bit concerned about how one gets a pair of knickers over a socking great plaster cast?
Do I have to put in a special order to Damart for whopping Mammy Brown type bloomers?
These are the sort of issues that need to be addressed; and this of course, is why I imagine this blog to become a trove of useful information such as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment