Saturday 16 January 2016

Stop all the clocks...


or Being Practical about Pills
When I emerged from hospital on Tuesday with a fistful of 
Co-codamol tabs I didn't actually take any notice of the number I received and divide them by the number of the days I might need them. This would come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, as Maths has been a life-time anathema. I am a true aMathma. I like that: new definition of a mother who has no maths skills. 
So come Friday afternoon at a time when we know that anyone who has a pulse is tying up lines to doctors' surgeries.. this innumerate realises she is in Co-codamol countdown. 
6 left. ( I am good up to ten).
I immediately whistle up supplies but of course you can't get the Good Stuff over the counter. You can only get the weaker stuff. (Boots Paracetemol & Codeine ).
Anyway, reassuringly this arrives with next visitor - Please don't bring me flowers... 
First thing I see:
big warning on front of packet: Can cause addiction. For 3 days use only. Well this is Saturday, my fourth day. It's happened! I'm already interviewing for a drugs mule..
Anyway, last night I thought I would ration myself. Only one of the lovely whoppers before I settle to sleep about midnight. 
Well now, prematurely, I am awoken by  Beethoven's Ninth coming from the nether toe region. Lord, what time is this? Bong, bong: ah yes, 2am. 

Yes, you know those chimes I've been zizzing happily through the past three nights? Well on one co-codamal you get pain and chimes on the hour every bloody hour. So do not reduce painkillers if you are sited near a grandfather clock would be my advice. 

If you find yourself in similar predicament, harvest your good painkillers and balance them with the weaker ones, saving two good ones for night time. But better still, do your Maths and contact your GP in good time for a repeat prescription.  

If you're wondering out of idle curiosity how to stop a Grandfather clock. Easy. You hold its pendulum.

No comments:

Post a Comment