Thursday 21 January 2016

Leg-in a-Bag

Limb0 consignment arrived the next day after ordering. That's what I call service. 
This is the item that is going to deliver me from the daily rub down with an oily rag.
It is like a plastic pillowcase with a rubber valve at the top that encases the upper thigh to prevent water accessing the bandaged foot. It is a simple but totally effective piece of kit. If I'd known how good it would be it would have been on my preparation list, without a doubt. A very practical present for anyone you know going in for surgery: flowers die; grapes get eaten but the Limb0 enables you to refresh all working parts. Wonderful.
I know that I am capable of going over the top and I have only now realised that I have just done that.
I went back to Limb0 Waterproof Protectors (plumb in full title because you get bizarre alternatives with just Limbo) for a picture to illustrate this post, only to discover they do FOOT protectors.
Blimey, talk about missing the point. At least I can re-direct you. 

The  medical advice that in the first two weeks you should keep your leg elevated as much as possible is sensible. 
My surgeon immediately after the operation described a patient who the day after her op went shopping in Harrods and could not understand why her foot became swollen like a balloon.
That very phrase has resonated and driven me to toe the line, so to speak.

The last few days I have done a little light pottering however, when left to my own devices, but for no longer than ten minute bursts. I wasn't timing myself: could've even been longer. The desire to restore superficial order to the developing Man-cave round the corner is a powerful driving force which enables me to travel at 5 miles an hour when faced with piles of abandoned newspapers and rolled socks. Mission accomplished, I then a return to bed with feet and spirits elevated.

Spending so many hours with indeed both legs raised high ( so much more comfortable than just trying to do the single leg) I have lain and wondered whether all this elevation which obviously makes the blood run in reverse direction (yes darling, I know it's circulating...) will give me thighs that look like jodhpurs?

I am happy to report as I glanced down at my over-trussed left leg today in the shower that the thighs remain reassuringly like tugboats.

2 comments:

  1. Surely a plastic bag and some duct tape...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If depilation by duct tape is your bag... a cheaper alternative, certainly!

      Delete