Friday 22 April 2016

What do squirrels dream of?

"No, don't tell me what you dreamt,"my mother would interrupt  as I attempted to regale her with last night's dream. My grandmother would tell me that dreams told on a Friday would come true on a Saturday, with more than a hint of foreboding doom.
It was not until very much older, when others started to tell me their dreams, and I politely listened, that  I realised that this early brainwashing had nothing to do with superstition, it was merely a way of instantly avoiding abject boredom.
Other people's dreams are undeniably boring. However, I am staying with my grandchildren at the moment and so I am exposed to hopes and dreams of all kinds. I am sharing a bed with ten year old Izzy, so the very least I  could do was to remove the embargo of talking about dreams.
She told me that the worst dream she ever had, was finding she was naked in a public place. What a relief for her to find that her grandmother, some fifty years older, experienced the same dream, quite regularly.
We both had experienced the joy of being able to fly like Peter Pan. She had not yet, however, experienced the awfulness of sitting down to a History A level without having studied History, and writing an essay on Napoleon. "He was a little on the short side. He kept his armies up his sleevies..." followed by a lot of abortive head-scratching.
Nor had she yet experienced being on stage in a play she had not rehearsed, and found herself improvising wildly.
These are joys to come.
There are no guesses, however, as to what Ted will be dreaming of tonight.... That pesky squirrel is his naked ambition.




After hard day watching squirrels
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment