Monday 18 April 2016

Flying in face of adversity...

I would hang fatty balls in my garden for the birds if I could. The garden is so small that there is no appropriate place to attach a hook. Maybe in a few years time when my young Prunus Autumnalis develops sturdy boughs...
I never noticed the birds when I was younger. Copulating or not. The birds that is. But as I advance in years I suddenly have become aware of them and just how extraordinary they are.
So it was with some sadness that I read this weekend that we have, in England, lost our last Golden Eagle which resided in the Lake District.
By a quirk of timing we went to see "Eddie the Eagle" on Saturday. It was all that you could wish for in a film on a Saturday afternoon. As a nation we have a reputation for supporting the underdog. But here was a man whose drive and ambition took him to the winter Olympics of 1988 in Calgary even though he knew that he stood no real chance against the fierce opposition. His courage and determination was heart-warming as it was inspiring. If ever you were looking to find a film with a positive message for young and old, this is it.
I should go looking for a hook for the garden fence, after all... and hang 'em high as a belated salutation to Eddie the Eagle Edwards. He certainly had some..
Golden Eagle






No comments:

Post a Comment