Monday 25 April 2016

A Cure for Ear Confections?

Lacrosse is a brutal game. 
You wouldn't have had me down for a lacrosse player, now, would you? How well you know me.
It was, for three years, a form of purgatory. Running up and down a pitch, cradling a butch-looking shrimping net. And that was my sole involvement. Up and down; up and down, until some wretched Amazonian slung the hard rubber ball in my direction and miraculously I caught it. In the eye. It felled me. I lay on the pitch in exquisite pain and blinded by my sporting triumph. 
The only bonus was to get sent home early with a magnificent shiner.  

My grandmother was up from Llanelli as my mother had recently embarked on a Mature students' teacher training course, and my six year old brother was recovering from an emergency appendectomy.
No phonecall heralded my early return and before my shocked grand mother could say anything, my little brother, groaned, "Oh no, not another one ill." 

Siblings are often underwhelmed when it comes to sympathy for each other. This week will be testing the theory in a younger generation. Izzy had her tonsils and adenoids out a year ago and has subsequently developed chronic fatigue syndrome. Pernicious and debilitating it shapes her life and that of her family. 
Tonight is the eve of six year old Joseph's adenoid removal. 
When he returns tomorrow, one pair of adenoids lighter, I am sure his sister will be far more gracious than my little brother...

A dog and his boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment