Friday 8 April 2016

Mixed Messaging...

I'll tell you one thing I never do. Well, almost never. Ask a friend twice, if she is reading my Blog.
It sounds too much like begging.
When I first embarked on this mystery tour, I told everyone what I was doing and then hoped they would follow me. 
After a month of no response from a particular friend, I cautiously asked her if she were reading it.
"You're obviously a thwarted writer," was her tart dismissal. If she had said thwarted thesp, it would have been nearer the mark.
I've always enjoyed writing which is not the same as being a good writer, of course. And I have to confess that apart from keeping more in touch with friends, and appreciating their encouragement, I do get excited to see that I have readers dropping in from Russia, Ukraine, Chile, Georgia, Switzerland and Austria. This is in addition to my regulars in the USA, Ireland, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, Poland and New Zealand. My British Bunion ( the one quietly developing on the other foot) welcomes you all.

I have to say that my children are fair game, however. They have a duty of care to evince interest and give support to their blogging mother. Dearest daughter, and grand daughter are avid followers; dearest son started off strongly, then leading up to  his holiday, went off the boil. As a forgiving parent, I desisted from talking about it, but thought I would send him a welcome home card.
Only because I had found the most excellent card in Marks and Spencer, reduced to a quid! Bargainous..
When he returned from his two week holiday, he called me. 
"Thanks for the card, Mum."
"Brilliant, wasn't it?"
"Well, it was a bit... off-colour, really,"
I had no idea what he meant, 'til he read me the caption on the front...
There, you can see for yourselves...
How my Blog-centricity could have blinded me to the whole horrendous buttock-clenching inappropriateness of the message, is the surest indication of all, that I am lost without a plot.
Memory replays purchase in M&S: furtive glance of young man at the till; me, beaming beatifically at my one pound bargain. Of course it was reduced - who else in the world would be sending a card like this (TO HER SON!) except some myopic, misguided bat who saw Blog in the title?
My viewing figures went up this weekend. Dearest son obviously has caught up. Nothing like a timely off-colour nudge, says I.

No comments:

Post a Comment