Wednesday 27 April 2016

Nighty Night, Hope the Bugs...

I don't think we have bed bugs. Thank the good Lord.
However, we are fighting the ants in the kitchen. I smugly think I've dealt a knock-out blow by putting down an ant trap at the first sign of scurrying activity.
Actually, that's not strictly true. Initially, I tried to avoid a trip to the hardware store on a relentlessly rainy day, by looking up a home remedy.
I remember my mother when I was young, putting down cloves by the back door to deter the marching ant army. A Danish visitor we had, was curious about the scattering; after my mother had explained, she said,"You British are so kind to animals; you are even kind to ants."

Not true. We hate ants in places they shouldn't be.
I looked up guidance on the internet. No mention of cloves. No, a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and icing sugar was recommended. Apparently, the ants take the mixture back to their nest and blow up. Yes, explode. I know, it does give you pause for thought.
Bicarb was no problem, but icing sugar? I found some some pink glitter sugar (that I'd once, in an uncharacteristic fit of baking, put on top of some cupcakes, circa 2006, but would they notice?) I grimly thought to myself that at least they would look pretty glittery at the Ugly Bug ball where "the ants are fancy dancing with the fleas.." Before they exploded...
Now however, a discreet tin of Raid now sits in the corner of my kitchen. At least I do not know technically, what happens next.
I am hoping that it  contains a little Car-park AttendAnt that re-directs them, safe and sound.
To my neighbour's....
                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment