Sunday 1 October 2017

Nobody Beeped Me....

I am driven to writing. If I don't, you'll think I have pranged the car or worse. I am well and alive! (as one Spanish extra insisted thirty odd years ago, despite all Ken Hannam's efforts to persuade him to put the words in the right order.)

We took possession of my new pocket rocket on Thursday afternoon. They had left on the Go Faster stripes, in error. I decided, impulsively, that I would go with. And in this spirit of fragile bravura I said I would drive off the Show room forecourt, negotiating a badly-parked truck and drive my Dearest husband home. Two challenges.

The car has more bells and whistles than my last car. Cars have been evolving speedily in the past six years. I am going to have to study a manual, says she who has never studied a manual in her life. However, I felt I knew enough to drive down the next day to Buckingham, at the crack of dawn.
In view of the torrential rain, before I set off, I did take time to refresh my understanding of some of the basics that were lit up like Blackpool illuminations on my many control panels. I looked out the window. What a day to make my maiden voyage... could hardly see a thing through the windscreen. So murky and misty. I then realised that I had my reading glasses on. Once removed, the scales fell from eyes and I was off. Very steadily.

When I returned to base at seven yesterday evening, I felt as though I had earned those stripes. Well, maybe just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment