Saturday 4 February 2017

Never mind the width, feel the quality....

Long long ago, I realised that food made me fat. When another in my family, presses his nose against patisserie shop windows, hungry with desire and emerges minutes later with cake boxes crammed with tarts, nay, cornucopias of cream and fruit, I remain frigid with restraint.
So I regard my latest pash for upholstery and curtaining fabric as total displacement therapy. Dearest says that his little addiction is much cheaper than mine, which is undeniably true, but mine creates something more lasting, without a calorie crossing my lips and landing on my hips.
Not a cake shop on the horizon, as we headed North to Cirencester today to visit Vanessa Arbuthnot's Shop and Showroom. I have been pouring over her catalogue, allowing her range to be the sole source of inspiration for blinds and curtains. Samples only give a flavour; we had to travel two hours to view the real deal.
A wonderful journey through the beautiful Cotswolds, with the sun finally relieving relentless days of grey. It fulfilled everything I'd anticipated. A warm welcome, a cup of coffee, and the most exquisite range of modern textiles. Forty minutes later, we emerged clutching fabric samples and colour charts.
Forty minutes? I can hear you question. A two hour journey there, for such a brief visit? Well, there were two reasons for that:
1. Dearest had Rugby on his mind this afternoon. (Congratulations, Scotland. Brilliant result.) (Well done, England too.)
2. I was shepherded out because I had announced loudly that I wanted to move into Vanessa Arbuthnot's showroom.
I think I am far more gracious when cakes are bought. Well, maybe not?
Containing such stuff that dreams are made on...


No comments:

Post a Comment