Friday 3 February 2017

Becoming an Annie Sloane Ranger...

My dearest husband rang me in the middle of the day. We don't usually do this unless it's an SOS for keys, phone or file left behind. I sat down to take the call.
"What the hell are you doing?" he asked sweetly.
"Sitting down,"I replied.
What he heard was the lengthy exhalation of breath as I lowered myself on to a dining room chair, with a mixture of relief and pure pleasure.
I had been standing for several hours, bent over a bathroom cabinet that I was intent on transforming from pine to painted. I wouldn't say I was aiming for a shabby chic look which is obviously so over. Sorry all you shabby-chic-lovers, but it's true. However, pine was so prominent in the eighties that for the most part it now looks sad and dated.
Well, over a year ago, I bought a can of Annie Sloane Chalk paint. Not one to rush into anything, me.
I was attracted by the fact that you do not need to prime, or rub down the surface to be painted, you can just whack it straight on.  Well, now, strictly entrenous, I am a whack-it-straight-on kinda girl. Preparation bores me inordinately. I just want to get to the colourful fun bit.
I have to say that having two professionals in the house who take preparation very seriously, inspired me to give it a once over with a wet-wipe. Job done.  I embarked on this bijou project thinking I'd have it knocked off in an hour. No such luck. I'd been at it for two, when Dearest provided a welcome interruption.
I have to say, it is a jolly clever paint which can be used on plastic, or metal as well as wood. It is water-based, so joy of joys, you can wash the brush under the tap.
When one of the Pros pointed out a tiny bit I'd missed, I found I was grateful. No sudden rise in blood pressure, or pounding in the eardrums.
Isn't it strange how one is able to construe this as gentle guidance? How different it would have been if Dearest had said the same thing.
"You missed a bit," might have caused red mists to rise.

He's not home yet. If, on the other hand, he's very enthusiastic, and supper very much an uppermost concern, then I'll know it's only cupboard love.


Shabby Chick gets handy with a flick of paint

No comments:

Post a Comment