Tuesday 28 February 2017

Looking for a circumflex with a less fattening centre....

If I use more than two herbs in my cooking, then I regard myself to be on a culinary roll. So using three this afternoon, I tell you, I was on fire. Homemade beef soup. Not stew, as such. I was using the remnants of the Sunday roast. Everything hubbling and bubbling on the stove, I was light in spirit when I got the message.
"On way. It's pancake day!!"

Talk about throwing an iced bucket on my joie de vivre. That little message signalled all the boyish enthusiasm of my Dearest husband for pancakes.  Like today is the only day of the year he feels he can request them. And in his mind's eye, this will be the year that they will fly, paper-thin in the air, landing on his plate, lathered in lemon and sucre. The reality is that every year, I scoop together glutinous dough from a pan that resolutely refuses to submit to my vigorous tossing, squish it into a pancake shape and smother it in ice-cream.

But not tonight, pardonnez moi, my loyal French readers, I had to try something different. In The Sunday Times Nadiya Hussain (previous winner of Bake Off) gave a recipe for American pancakes. . Described as small, compact and plump. They had my very name on them. I even made the fruit sauce to go with. Apple and blueberries. Shape-wise, the pancakes bore a passing resemblance to the picture. If you shut your good eye. And held the magazine at arm's length.

After thirty six years of practising, I am sadly resigned that I am crap at crepes (with or without a circumflex).

These are Nadiya's....shadow is mine

No comments:

Post a Comment