Saturday 3 September 2016

Supermarket superiority...

Is eight years any age at all for a computer? Like my body, I think I under-exercise it. I don't hammer the hell out of it, with exacting and challenging tasks like photo-shopping, or streaming movies (neither the computer or I have any clue how to do that). A little light shopping, perhaps, where the credit card receives the genuine punishment as I gently put a little something in my basket. And a little heavy shopping where the fingers do the walking and the only strenuous activity is opening the grocery bags and putting the contents in the kitchen cupboard. So I am pretty disgruntled that my computer is slowing me down.
In conversation with our NAF (New American Friends) Jane soon told me that there was one thing she envied me. Could it be my cute English vowels? No. Surely not my pert derriere? (I smile as I type this, sitting comfortably on my now positively panoramic posterior.) No, indeed the thing she most envied was our Waitrose. She had stayed in England, and had been so taken with this high quality supermarket that she had insisted accompanying her friend just to view the products. And to think, she said, she can just use her computer to shop... Now this was a revelation to someone  who assumed the idea of internet shopping for groceries must surely have originated in the States. Well. they're obviously missing a trick in Florida, is all I can say.
With a computer on the blink, and an extreme disinclination to go food shopping when all I really need to survive is a couple of lettuces and a cucumber from now until Christmas, my daughter was happy to oblige with submitting my groceries order.  This afternoon, I rang her to add a couple of items: ice cream (lettuce-flavoured, obviously), and as I am spending three nights away from home next week, some Big Un's (as in Charlie Bingham's) meals for one, for her father. The extended lughole (which fails to hear much of what I say) tuned in to this vital conversation. Dearest is suffering from a post-holiday cold virus.
So in a voice that sounded like it came from the depths of the Blue Lagoon, he said:
"I'd like a Fish pie, please." (weakly)
"A chicken Tandoori.." (a little stronger)
"Oh, and a Boeuf Bourguinon" (with warm anticipation)
Nothing much wrong with his appetite. But time to up the statins, I think.

When the Cook's away......


No comments:

Post a Comment