Wednesday 31 August 2016

No Gang-plank Required...

You were wondering if my Dearest husband read my blog while we were away? No, you didn't give it a thought. How rude of me to presume.
Well, of course he didn't. He talked about it. Was curious to hear about my new readers from Russia (maybe Mrs Putin is a bunion sufferer?) and of readers from Singapore and China joining the faithful; by which, I mean the US, Canada, Ireland, Australia and France. He was encouraging. Slightly uneasy, perhaps, that I might have mentioned him. Me, slightly queasy at this point, even evasive. But do you remember the words of the old Beatles song? For two and a half weeks, day and night (because I talk in my sleep) I, like Penny Lane, was  in his ears and in his eyes... So frankly, no need at all, to fill the remaining headspace with my written ramblings. I was quite happy with that.

So although we elected to go on a cruise, we do not go in search of new friends. We actively seek our own company, unadulterated by casual friendship. We dine alone each night and are happy to do so.
However, the umbilical cord of the office tugged more than once, requiring my husband's attention, so I was left unattended, so to speak. Dangerous. I have a cheerful open face that is very approachable. I was soon in conversation with a very pleasant like-minded lady. As an as an American, she was unburdened by the social reserve that we Brits tend to wear like flak jackets and as I am  someone who never has a problem chatting with strangers, we were exchanging views by the time Dearest emerged from his phone call.

We joined Jane and Allan on our last night on the boat, finally breaking with tradition, and so enjoyed ourselves that we met them a couple of days later in Lisbon for lunch.
The Office is always the third party on any holiday we go on. It has ever been thus. However, for once I am grateful that a timely intervention enabled us to break out of our routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment