Wednesday 3 February 2016

If the Shoe Fits..

Well, patently (not the black shiny kind) the shoe doesn't.
Fit the left foot, that is.
A little experiment today to see if a Birkenstock on it's fattest fitting hole would accommodate fat foot.  It didn't.
So I have spent a couple of hours poring over computer in search of appropriate footwear when Das Boote is given de boot on Tuesday when I get the go ahead from my surgeon.

Dispiriting search for old lady-shoes. Velcro (groan).
Hotter shoes it looks like for me. And with all due respect to all the happy Hotter shoe wearers out there... Hot they are not. If they are Hotter, then the pedant in me wants to know "Hotter than What?"

Trainers have been recommended. But frankly this would not suit me at all. In days of yore it always took me twenty minutes to struggle into my trainers when I had a gym membership, so the thought of squeezing bruised and wounded foot into firm white leather makes me nervous. Apart from which I am not sure that trainers have ever been my look.

The other thing is that you are advised to get a pair that is larger than your normal pair. At least Hotter give you a chart where I can see that the increased girth of my left foot warrants an Extra- Extra wide fitting and in order to achieve this I will have to go to 6.5.
I tell you a double Extra in anything size-related does not do wonders for a girl. I think they should re-name it.

Dearest says I should also buy a similar but normal size pair so that I can have one of each. I think this is enormously generous of him to suggest this.
My worries are:
Will I feel as though I have clowns' shoes on if I am in shoes that are one and a half sizes bigger than usual?
How do I keep the right foot shoe on? Three pairs of socks? A large elastic band? (nice)?
Will I look even dafter if I have one of each? Look, Honey, I've shrunk my foot!
A decision has to be made soon or else I will not graduate on Tuesday.
So to console myself I ate the green gloop - heated and smothered with Parmesan and then had a bloody big mince pie. (Well, you've got to give those pesky fat-bustin' sirtuins something to get their teeth into...)

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way to ensure your readers break their silence is to say something to which they feel they absolutely must reply, usually because they want to object. There's nothing much to say if you want to agree, is there? (Rhetorical question - also leaves nothing to say.)

    Proudly, I say: I am a Hotter shoe wearer! AND I'm younger than you; as you are so fond of pointing out, I was the baby in our terrific teaching troupe. So nothing to do with age, then (though my sons might take issue with that. It's all relative.)

    May I just say, I am no nearer being an employee of Hotter or having shares in the company than I am dying my hair green. It is simply an honest opinion (I can no longer write that word without thinking 'bunion'?!) coming from experience, that Hotter shoes are comfortable. Bliss. The kindest thing you can do to your feet - and let's face it, your feet need a bit of tender loving.

    I dare you to ring Hotter and ask about postbunion feet. I bet they have been asked before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take comfort from your comfort in being a Hotter Trotter, and await my delivery with barely contained excitement...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some serious decisions to make very soon. While shoes may not seem like a big deal, there is nothing better than a good shoe that works for your feet. I can see dilemmas with both options - buying a larger pair and feeling funny or wearing two different sizes. Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for the single size option, and find I can still wear the trainers, eight months on. Hotter trainers seem to be good for wider feet.
      Thank you for your interest in my Blog!

      Delete
    2. I went for the single size option, and find I can still wear the trainers, eight months on. Hotter trainers seem to be good for wider feet.
      Thank you for your interest in my Blog!

      Delete