Thursday 15 February 2018

Out of the Frying Pan....

Sorry. You caught me with my mouth full. Full of perfluoroalkyl substances. If that's not a mouthful, then I don't know what is. I'd like to reassure you, I'm not about to confess to being a PFASs junkie.  Though in fairness, I am not entirely sure I can reassure myself, that I haven't got high levels of this chemical coursing around my bloodstream. (Giving me psychedelic delusions that I am still writing a Bunion blog, with not a bunion in sight.)

Yesterday, I read that people with higher levels of PFASs were more likely to put weight back on after dieting. You find a preponderance of this chemical in non-stick frying pans apparently. Which is funny, but not really, because I was on the point of replacing our existing one. Because, Lord love a duck, I have eaten the bloody lining off the last one. Its non-stick has disappeared down my gullet, so that when you turn off that light, the luminescent cucumber in the corner is moi.

This stuff messes with your health in all the usual ways. Cancer, immune dysfunction, high cholesterol. All the usual suspects. So was I worried about the bit which focuses on the weight gain after dieting? Not at all. Because to achieve and maintain the  ideal weight I will have to watch my diet forever. If a new non-stick pan helps me keep the additional fat content down, and frying becomes part of a moderate approach to a healthy well-balanced diet (yawn), I will be off to Lakeland tomorrow.

Then I will be able to make the pancakes I forgot to make on Tuesday. Alright, alright, it's better than frying a sausage (7 syns a pop), and sausages are processed food.
Just don't get me started on that...
These are free from BPA and PFOA as well.....what the heck are those???



No comments:

Post a Comment