Saturday 3 February 2018

Nibbling at my heart....

"Morning has broken
Like the first morning,
Blackbird has spoken
Like the First bird....."
Amazing how an old atheist like me, can break out into a hymn at the first sign of active birdlife in the garden, since we rolled out an enticing menu of heart-shaped suet and pendulous peanuts. Yes, spotted two robins this morning, pecking away at the soil. A little hors d'oeuvres before the main course, obviously. And a blue tit pecking away at the pink heart. Which, I have to say is looking a little battered and showing many signs of invisible bird-traffic.
This also puts me in mind of a favourite childhood hymn,
"Batter my heart
Three personned God,"
which always made me think of a heart deep-fried in batter.
And we weren't even a family that did offal. Not to that degree, anyway. But remind me, on the subject of offal, to tell you about the falafel I made this week. Unless you too have been referring to them as falla-fell. No? You knew how to pronounce them?
My readers are such hipsters...




No comments:

Post a Comment