Friday 19 January 2018

Tea-straining Credulity...

I dreamt last night I was being chased by a Fat-berg. No, I am not being rude about my new Slimming World pal.  Really.
You know, those huge clusters of fat that develop in our pipes, and clog up our sewers.. Can you imagine? Gross or what? Ever since I read about them I have been met-ic-u-lous about scooping up oil, lard, gravy or anything remotely oleaginous. I mean, be honest, who wants an  encrusted u-bend? (Put your hand down at the back. You're a plumber.)

Everyone who has seen Blue Planet will tell you that David Attenborough has created a vigorous conversation about plastic. Quite honestly, even before I became a  badge-wearing eco-worrier, I was concerned about the way in which our re-cycling bin fills up extremely quickly. Absolutely everything you purchase in the supermarket is criminally over-packaged in plastic or plastic derivatives.(Entrenous, it was really because I was having difficulty in jamming the whole lot in.) Amazing that we, a household of two, generate so much waste.

However, when you see the consequences of this flagrant over-use of packaging through  programmes such as The Blue Planet, it does bring it home to you, that you have a duty of care to do your bit.
I was appalled that the tea bags we have been using, and happily re-cycling with the potato peelings actually contain small amounts of plastic.
"I don't know why we don't use loose tea," said Mr Ecology.
"Because it's a faff cleaning out the tea leaves from the strainer," I replied.
"Well, I will do that and tip the tea leaves in the garden so they can enrich the soil.."

Forgive me, but I have to say I snorted. You and I know, there's a Fat-berg's chance in Hell of that happening. Evah!

Blue. Like my response.

No comments:

Post a Comment