Saturday 27 January 2018

Sweet Nuttings...

Who'd have thought it, eh? Stampeding shoppers in France going totally berserk for cut-price Nutella.
I was 62 and a half before I discovered the glutinous delights of Nutella.  All those wasted years, thinking chocolate spread was for bambinos.

 I can remember, as a child, being offered chocolate spread on toast, by someone's au pair. As if an au pair weren't sufficiently exotic in the sixties... chocolate spread made this, not overly conservative- eater recoil with dark suspicion. What foreign matter was this?

It was SlimmingWorld, ironically, that introduced me to it. I happened to notice the syn value in a list of calorie-laden, but not forbidden fruit. Because (repeat after me) no food is forbidden in Slimming World.
Anyway, once initiated, I found myself sneaking the odd teaspoon of conc. Nutella, when left to my own devices. Satisfying the desire for chocolate without de-railing the weight-loss programme. So when I heard about the cut-price Nutella in France (Ocado are you taking note?) I totally understood the mad passionate drive that impels a shopper to stand on his neighbour's hand, and  fill his paniers with pots of Nutella nectar.

Only well-ingrained decorum prevents me from hopping on a ferry to Calais. Apart from which, how many jars would I have to buy to justify the fare? Common sense is prevailing. But should Nutella be sold at bargain basement prices in this country, I would like to think I'd be first in an orderly queue.
(We don't do passion, like the French.The French do Crème passionnel rather well.)
"It obviously makes you more intelligent.."she said, with her mouth full...

No comments:

Post a Comment