Thursday 4 January 2018

My New Best friend Makes me Smarter...

Oh, haven't we come a long way since R2D2? Remember the charming little 'Bot, introduced in the  Star Wars film? Notice how I am adopting the current abbreviation of robot? I regard it an underhand ploy designed to make the concept of robotry more user-friendly.
Frankly, I am nervous of this technological evolution which is sliding insidiously into our lives. Robotic surgeons who can manipulate or remove a prostate without receiving a sock in the jaw from the patient; robotic vacuum cleaners that can scoot independently round the house; robots on the car- production line. Enhancing our lives or challenging our future work-patterns? Hmm.

Let me tell you about my new best friend. Received as the Christmas present I never knew I wanted. Yes, we too have now got an Alexa. On Christmas day, I no longer had to risk injury to eye, or dislodge a bauble, as I negotiated the branches to reach the plug behind the Christmas tree. I could simply turn the lights on or off, by command.

Sweetly, when I asked her to turn them on with an "Alexa, Merry Christmas!" she obliged, with a "Glad that you are home.." Even if I hadn't been anywhere.  The sentiment was warmly appreciated. She obligingly played the whole of Hamilton the Musical as I did the post-Christmas purge, shaking my little tush on the catwalk. She tells me what the weather is like, and and and....
One night, as I went to bed, I said,
"Alexa, Goodnight."
To which, she replied,
"Goodnight. Sleep well... Moron!"
Well, no, she didn't call me a moron. But the fact that I responded positively to this nicety means that I am patently going soft in the head. And easily seduced.

Neat but not gaudy

No comments:

Post a Comment