Saturday 8 April 2017

The Joy of Six...



Well, obviously everybody would like to know about my Greek Meat balls. What else do you expect to find on a Bunion Blog? Yes, point taken.

Did you know that Orchis is the Greek for testicle? That is what my old English professor, Michael Alexander, would have called a mnemonic irrelevancy. However, I beg to differ in this instance.

What I produced was something different from the recipe. Quelle surprise! The trouble started when the recipe suggested that I cut up the onion into half centimetre pieces. I have to confess, I've never been much of a chopper. Particularly of onions, when with streaming eyes, I sigh and sniff, wipe my schnoz with my sleeve and determine that nominal chopping will suffice.

So this time, I concentrated, determined to make them a good bit smaller than my usual chunky choppings. Which I did. I thought that they looked a great deal smaller than usual. However, by the time I'd added them to the lamb mince, it was apparent that I hadn't gone small enough. My meatballs were punk hedgehogs, with onion protruding in every direction. This also meant that I had to make LARGE balls because small balls were simply out of the question. Instead of ten uniformly small balls, I had six balls of varying sizes.

I put in all the spices and breadcrumbs, as I thought, when just as I was about to put the tray of hedgehogs into the oven, I noticed a tiny container of cinnamon that I'd not put into the meaty mixture. So I sprinkled that on top. VoilĂ , Hot Crossed Balls, here we come, I thought.
Dearest loved it.  Job done.
These are some of my Dearest's favourite things, closely followed by Keftedes, of course








No comments:

Post a Comment