Wednesday 26 April 2017

Fighting Talk?

I am not sure I could cope with an Alexa in the corner, waiting to implement my latest command.  It would give me a severe case of the heebie-jeebies. I am at the stage of life where I value everything that re-enforces my independence. Everything I can do for myself, personal corsetry excepted, is to be celebrated. This includes mastering the remote control. I am the Mistress of  the remote control because His Master's Voice cannot be arsed to get to grips with it. However, I am not looking for some android to take over small simple tasks such as turning on the radio or telling me what the weather is like. Hell, I like to live dangerously, look out of the window and decide what the risk factor is for a dousing. Mrs May is not the only one who can make snap decisions round here.

So I was amused to see that a new App has been developed that can deduce when an argument is brewing between a couple. Algorithms (not too sure what those are, really, but that's never held me back) have been developed to pick up the tell-tale signs in the prelude to an altercation, then issue a warning. What's that all about? A smart phone listening to our conversations? Right. Holding our horses in the middle of a hum-dinger because some mechanised motormouth tells us to calm down, or take five? Whatever next? I'm confident it won't catch on.
Maybe Alexa or an Android algorithm could put him right?
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment