Friday 21 April 2017

Check your pianos for treasure....

Did you hear the one about the piano-tuner? Found a four figure for-tune under the lid... I should write headlines for The Sun. In case you didn't read it, it was, in fact, a six figure sum in gold sovereigns that was discovered in a piano. It had been donated to a school by a kindly couple who had decided that there was no longer any use for it in their home.

What an exciting find! Life-changing for the piano-tuner, who can now afford an operation to cure his tinnitus, and no doubt making a huge difference to the school, who will spend the money on improving facilities in school and the community.
But what about the original owners? Thankfully there was an answer to my question.  No hand out to them. A gift is a gift and we had no idea that the piano contained such treasure, they said. That is the part that really makes me glow. That is a truly inspirational example of how life should be.

That hasn't stopped me from pondering whether our own ancient piano could yield such riches.. However, when I mentioned looking, not in the piano, but for another piano teacher for myself, I was a little perturbed when Dearest said,
"Silence is golden".
I'll give him silence...
An awful lot of silence....


No comments:

Post a Comment