Friday 7 April 2017

Getting Fresh?

Something came over me early last week. It must have been a mist of sorts, because it certainly clouded my vision. Perhaps I am getting more susceptible to a bargain in my dotage? Do I spend too long these days, paddling in my Inbox? (Probably.) The truth of the matter is, that I was bored, yes bored, with the routine of producing the same old limited repertoire of meals that I've produced for the past thirty odd  years. There have been no complaints from the resident gastronome but that is probably because his peace-keeping instincts override his pickiness. Wise, darling man.

So one fine day, I saw an offer in my Inbox. Sign up to Fresh, it said, and receive your first box half price! Well, my click finger had done the walking before my brain had done the talking. I could easily have argued myself out of it. However, when I told him what I'd done, Dearest's face lit up with joyful anticipation. It was like I'd thrown a drowning man a rope.

First thing I did was to forget that I'd ordered it. (Recognisable symptom of buying online.) On Tuesday, Granddog  barked the house down to alert me to intruder arriving with large box.
"Oh God, what's that?" I asked any small person who happened to be around. Retail amnesia sadly only remedied by colourful emblem, Hello Fresh.



So what have I got? (Apart from food that I cannot pronounce?)
Three recipes with all the fresh ingredients (natch) that you need for them.
Moroccan Spiced Salmon with lemon and caramelised onion couscous.
Leon Goat's Cheese Chicken with red cabbage and hazelnuts,
and
Keftedes with Tabbouleh and Mint Tzatziki.

Two days later, I am now into countdown as I have been eating my stuff. Bog-standard-stick-to-your-ribs Shepherd's Pie kinda stuff. I feel trapped. I am yearning for a spontaneous Fishfinger. Captain Birdseye will be missing his first mate.

Wait a minute. They've sent me two lots of chicken and no salmon. But I have the ingredients for tarting up the salmon.  Huge sigh of relief. So much happier when I can go off-piste.
I'll let you know if I find my inner chef..

No comments:

Post a Comment