Wednesday 21 December 2016

Things go better with..

You won't find a jigsaw puzzle in our house this Christmas. Not in yours either? I think they are pretty much out of fashion, because nobody has the patience to fiddle. There are endless other seductive distractions which are all more enticing than looking for a bit of cloud in a sky or an elusive porthole in  The Fighting Temeraire. My Grandma used to like a large one at Christmas. Kept in the parlour on a small table all by itself, inviting anyone and everyone to complete a small section. It should have provided brain-training, but that front room chilled your cheeks.

Then, as a good and dutiful mother, I bought jigsaw puzzles for my young children, and all but elbowed them out of the way when they reached the twelve-piece puzzle because I found I could do an elementary puzzle all by myself. Immensely satisfying. But that was as far as it went.
I do however, have an unhappy knack for losing parts of games, toys and even earrings. It distresses me, but I have lived with this character flaw for many years. So imagine my joy, when I shook a plastic bag that had been in the loft and a miniature twelve-pack of coca cola bottles fell out. I knew exactly what they were and where they had come from.

Thirty years ago, an old neighbour had given me a Coca Cola van for our son as hers were past the age of playing with it. He was intrigued by the twenty four tiny bottles that fitted into the back.
However, when one of the bottle packs disappeared I could not bring myself to get rid of the toy.
About a year ago, I discovered the missing item which afforded me huge satisfaction as I restored the full load.

Today, as I took my remaining Christmas cards to deliver by hand, I wrapped the toy and left it with a note of explanation at my old neighbour's house. She now has grandchildren who will be intrigued by its history.

I just love it when the missing piece completes the picture.
But please, no jigsaw puzzles this Christmas. Unless it's The Fighting Temeraire. For old times' sake.
No product placement here- hashtag

No comments:

Post a Comment