Wednesday 25 May 2016

How to take a Compliment...

It's an art, isn't it? What? Taking a compliment gracefully.
I have always been wary of compliments. Like a great number of my fellow Brits, I am self-conscious in receiving praise. Frankly, it's not a problem I deal with daily.
I remember when I was a school girl debater. My speeches were always colourful and verging on the outer edges of Grammar schoolgirl acceptability. This of course, had nothing to do with my father's final polishing and Naval spin. I was game. And often did well in competition.

On one such occasion, my Head Mistress, one redoubtable Jessie Tennet, called me into her study at the Girls' School to congratulate me on my latest success. She peered at the report written by the adjudicator of the competition with her pince-nez. (I am not embellishing...)
"I gather, by all accounts, you were rather scurrilous..."
What? I didn't have a clue what she meant. It didn't sound much of a compliment. I played safe.
"Well, I did my best, Miss Tennet," I replied, trying to look modest.
It was only later I found it meant, "offensive, derogatory, scandalous," you name it ....

So when I heard today about the new mayor of London's interchange with the actor Dominic West, I was far from impressed with Mr West.
Apparently Mr Khan, the Mayor, said that how he and his wife had watched every episode of The Wire. To which the charmless Mr West replied, "You wasted 72 hours of your life."
I feel another coronation coming on: Dominic West or King Twit. What do you say?
I am returning my wages because I wasted your time...

No comments:

Post a Comment