Thursday 19 April 2018

On the hottest day of the year..

I just love a good statistic. I could just say that it has been bloody hot today. Which if you are are fellow Brit, I won't be telling you anything you don't already know. 6.15pm and it's currently 28 degrees. The hottest April day in seventy years. Delightfully abnormal and we're all running around like  a dog with two tails and barking at postmen. Yes, a little unusual sunshine and we go bonkers.
Well, I decided to put the clement weather to good use. We have waved goodbye to the painters which means that finally I had to tackle the restoration of the garden. A small courtyard affair,  nothing grand.
The patio is mostly in the shade of the house, apart from a couple of hours of direct sunshine, so inevitably the paving gradually takes on the green verdigris of light moss and algae. It can only be removed with a jet-wash. Today was the day. It's a bit like childbirth, you forget how awful a job it is. What I hadn't factored in, was that the grouting between the paving slabs is shot, which means that the gaps between the paving have become repositories for soil and miscellaneous crap. Very soon it became apparent that this clean-up job was getting a whole lot messier as I jet-propelled aforementioned miscellaneous crap all over my newly-painted white walls. They looked as if they had been target practice for a murder of crows.
One job spawning three more. I am done in.
Just call me Hyacinth..

No comments:

Post a Comment