Monday 9 April 2018

Going Dutch?


"How about Amsterdam?" said Dearest to me, about a month ago.
"What about Amsterdam?" I replied.
"The Eurostar is operating a direct route from St Pancras in early April for the first time."
Ever the reluctant traveller, I agreed to a long weekend as it appeared blissfully simple. As indeed it turned out to be.  8.30am departure from London and 13.12 arrival, local time in Holland.  Four hours. Quicker than a train journey to Scotland. Terrific. I recommend it.
The journey back had to be via Brussels because the Dutch have not quite got the return journey sorted. But even with the added of frisson of a delayed train, our connection was held because otherwise one hundred and twenty passengers would have been stranded when the last train from Brussels departed. So there we are, that was the exciting bit. We take the train because Dearest does not like flying. In fact, he doesn't give a flying about who knows this. I like this about him.

I also like the way he can pick a great city break and requisition sunshine too. He demurs when I congratulate him. Neither of us had been to Amsterdam since we were very young, so it was really as if for the first time. We found it to be absolutely charming. The architecture fascinating, and the people welcoming. The cyclists are crazy and own the city. You do have to have your de Witts about you, as you stand to be in peril from either a bike or a tram. It was such beautiful weather we  postponed museum visits for another time. Instead, we took a relaxing canal tour and spent a wonderful morning at the Keukenhof.

I had, in fairness, no overwhelming desire to visit the Keukenhof which I had imagined to be like an enormous garden centre where tulips and daffodils extended as far as the eye could see. It is, however, a spectacular spring garden with over seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths spread over 80 acres. I thought it was absolutely glorious. Funnily enough, my companion was less enthused. He wasn't comfortable with the serried ranks of the flowers and found it all too formal.
"I like things less-manicured. Not too perfect. Like that piece of woodland with random daffodils that appear as if by chance, not design."
Who'd have thought it would have taken some Dutch landscape gardening to throw light on our relationship? I am just wondering where to put the random daffodils...
Keukenhof








No comments:

Post a Comment