Tuesday 21 November 2017

One Green bauble,hangin' on a wall...

I am one of life's bodgers. I don't wear my bodger badge with pride. Nor am I being nauseatingly self-deprecating when I say this. I am an enthusiastic have-a-go-gal who accepts that the end results may be less than perfect, but then life is like that.
I received a gift of a glass bauble from an old friend during the summer. A beautiful piece of glass made by someone in the West country called Will Shakespeare, no less. This is no Christmas bauble. It is all all year round one. There was only one place it could possibly hang and that was in the recess of a small kitchen window where it would catch the light.

I thought at first that with a bit of brute force I could make a hole in the plaster, put in a rawal plug (already impressed?) and screw in a hook.
Four months later I had to call in the expert. My brother who is the handiest man alive and has a Makita drill which, if you know anything about anything, is the meatiest, manliest, meanest drill on the block. But he could not drill through the steel lintel.

I suggested we stuck a plinth on to the surface, through which we could screw a hook. He said he would go home and saw off the top of a broom handle which would do the job. He returned shortly with hewn handle and super strong glue. I had my hook. The glue had to dry overnight. Ready for bauble?  No, my brother weighed the weighty piece of glass and the next day returned with a small bag of pea shingle similarly weighted, to hang for 24 hours to ensure the fixture would hold.

So for 24 hours my kitchen looked as though it was adorned by a dog's poo bag.
Thoroughly tested by the most meticulous of men, I finally got to hang my bauble.
Singing, "Baubles, bunions and beads, rings-linga..."And it's not even December!

No comments:

Post a Comment