Thursday 22 June 2017

Longest heatwave since 1978....

The weather didn't actually break today. But it was considerably cooler, and for this we give thanks. We are simply not used to unrelenting heat. We are not sleeping these airless nights. I overheard one woman today saying she got up at two-thirty this morning to hang out her washing as she felt that she might as well do something productive, since sleep eluded her.

Dearest also got up at two-thirty but as he believes the washing machine is self-loading, he did some real work. Until 5.30 when he came back to bed and asked me where I'd put our son's flat keys. Missing keys, particularly those belonging to somebody else, are enough to blast through the early morning grog and send adrenalin levels rocketing.  I flew downstairs to retrieve them They were there, where I'd left them, in his man-bag.

Triumphant, I returned to bed where I was met with the steady snore of one who has crammed yet more hours into the working week.

No comments:

Post a Comment