Thursday 29 June 2017

Jon Hamm and Ham Bones...

Mad Men has been beguiling us again. We'd bought boxed sets, in the days when we couldn't opt for a streamed alternative way of viewing. But we refused to be held to ransom by the commercial bandits who wanted to charge for two final series, when we all knew it was going to be one series sliced into two. We were prepared to wait. It wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, after all. Nothing in Mad Men was ever designed to keep you awake at night, pondering. So we were quite relaxed about having a Mad Men-o-pause.
I can't claim that we experienced a hot flush of excitement, or broke out into a sweat when we saw that the whole set was being aired on Netflix. We greeted it with the affection that we show old friends after a two year break. The final series sidled satisfactorily and quirkily to a close.
I think what I loved most about it was its style. Arguably, at times, a case of style over substance.  However,  seeing colours and designs from my fifties and sixties' childhood has made me nostalgic.

I am not sure that I can attribute this yearning to hours spent watching Mad Men, but I do find myself drawn to mid-century glass. In particular, Whitefriars and Medina. I picked up some examples from my friend, Anthony's shop. Then I discovered the thrills and spills of an eBay auction. Delirious excitement. You think I mean when my bid is successful? Not just that. It's the arrival of a little brown parcel that has to be discreetly unwrapped away from a battle-weary husband. I quietly add to my collection, hoping that marital myopia does the rest. (It usually does.)
Jon Hamm
Whitefriars  ham bone or teardrop vases: a Mad Woman collection




No comments:

Post a Comment