Wednesday 29 March 2017

Happy the Whole Day Through Trying to find... (her glasses?)

Not a word from me for days... You probably thought I'd been locked up after my mad idea on Mothering Sunday. Haven't acted on that resolution, by the way. Been too busy. On Tuesday when Gustav enquired as to how I'd been, I said casually,
"Oh, pretty busy."
And as I looked in the mirror ahead of me, I thought I could detect, under the newly blonded highlights, a nose that had grown three inches longer.
"Well, not that busy, actually," I admitted and the nose began to shrink. Wow. I should concentrate on my hair next time and save a fortune in hairdressing bills.
I read an article at the weekend that suggested humble-bragging about being overworked is the most effective way to signal social capital.
What a wonderful portmanteau word. I'd never heard it before. Example I found: "Just eaten umpteen pieces of chocolate. Must control myself flying First Class or they'll cancel my modelling contract. Ha Ha!"
So when I said  to Gustav that I was busy, I wasn't bragging, humble or otherwise. I was merely moulding the truth.
How could I possibly describe myself as busy? Doing what? Directing plumbers and making cups of tea? Look, to be frank, I am currently very content being busy doing bugger-all.

However, I was delighted to see that ordering groceries online and having them delivered is a humble-bragging way of saying that you're too busy to shop in person because your schedule is far too hectic.
So even if the dawn chorus Waitrose delivery suggests a little woman with too much on her plate, (many a true word spoken in jest) then let me assure you, it's only because she was so busy doing nothing, it was the only slot she could get.

Waitrose van before Plumber's van before Electrics Van

No comments:

Post a Comment