Saturday 11 March 2017

Best of Both...

My neighbours think I've lost it. They've seen  me several times this week setting off to the High Street with a little red suitcase. The poor old dear at No. 27 thinks she's off on holiday again, I'll bet they say. Heavy, that little suitcase of hers, she must be going for a week. Then, Whoops, there she goes again....

Excuse me, marbles all fully counted, I am going to the Charity shop with the spoils of my grand re-organisation. My loads are far too heavy to lug without the aid of wheels. It says a lot about me that  I would rather appear to be sadly off my trolley than subject myself to the instant grannification of a shopping-trolley. So the little red suitcase is my stalwart. Battle-worn, shabby and with squeaking wheels, it has done me proud this week.

But it has been books rather than CDs that have been in the bag. I was all set to cull the CD collection when for the second time this week, I have failed to work the internet Juke Box I mentioned to you, way back in January. Internet connection weak. Try again later.  What sort of system is that? I wanted music there and then, not at some ill-defined time in the future. It was a pertinent reminder that I should not place all my eggs in one basket.

I looked again at the stacks of CDs. There is a world of difference between a real book and its Kindle edition. CDs similarly conjure up a host of memories that transport you to your youth in a way that could never be equalled by a playlist on a computer.

One of the CDs was owned by my mother. She had tried and failed to get hold of the CD of a  vinyl record she had once owned in the 60s, Missa Luba, and had got a more recent (inferior) recording done by another choir. I looked up the original and found it on You Tube. You may know it as it gained recognition from the 1969 film "If".
All I can say is that to hear it again after so many years, has lifted my heart and soul.
How lucky are we, to enjoy the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment