Thursday 9 March 2017

Diminishing Returns...

I do think about things other than food. But not often. Last week I upped my game on the dieting front and ate nothing but Speed foods and Protein. Not so much as a  carb passed my lips. Almost finished me off. Jumped on the scales with smugness disguised by nonchalence. And found that I had lost a miserly pound (or 500gms).  So this week, after last week's deprivation, I have been  prone to the occasional snaccident, so to speak. For example, a large packet of popcorn winked at me in my daughter's kitchen. My snout was down it before my brain had a chance to register the small print on the side of the packet.
So I was quite interested to read that dieters tend to eat less when they are dining out than if they are eating in their own houses, or someone else's. I am the living-proof of this research. They should have come directly to me. In public, I have to show restraint, have portions pre-determined, am unable to ask for second helpings, or finish off someone else's dessert in the kitchen. I am under control. At home, the oven gloves are off and I have to wrestle with that old bugbear, greed, using new-found restraint.
Latest research indicates that if the packaging on food were less colourful and attractively presented, we would be less drawn to sugar-laden items. I suspect there is something in that. Meanwhile manufacturers, in line with the government's drive to reduce obesity, are attempting to reduce the sugar content in a number of old favourites such as Kit Kats and Quality Street. Though, as consumers, we are all aware of the shrinking size of the product. Now, it seems that Smarties are on the hitlist. They will most likely be made smaller. So you will have to shovel down twice the number to receive your glucose shot.
Thank goodness I don't eat chocolate any more. That is true. Because one is never enough. And if that one is made any smaller, then I might as well turn to drink.
Make mine a large one. Don't bother with the tonic. Empty calories. At least my cucumber is accessible...
Chasing Rainbows        by Izzy
                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment