Tuesday 25 October 2016

She Nose You Know...

No, I am not tapping my proboscis as I write. Or anyone else's before you make the suggestion. You mean that's not a proboscis? Dear me.

The husband of a friend of mine recently told me that he said he could no longer smell and that my friend could no longer hear properly but that together they made a fully functioning human being. He drily commented, "She smells and I listen". Foundation of a very happy marriage. We have obviously reached a stage in our lives where we are reconciled to a  deterioration of our working parts.

But noses are in the news this past week. Kicking off with The Nose, an opera -the first by Shostakovich.  Based on a short story by Gogol, concerning a St Petersburg official whose nose is stolen and goes on to develop a life of its own. It sounds an absolute hoot(er).
Audiences at The Royal Opera  laughing uproariously? We missed a trick here.

But what a treat to read about the latest device invented to foil bicycle thieves. Skunklock may soon be coming on the market, if the crowd-funding exercise is successful. When a thief attempts to saw through the lock, such vile and putrid gas is released it induces vomiting. It almost makes me wish I had a bike.

And finally we learn that the Lynx effect has some scientific credibility. Who'd have thought that there was a documented basis for women preferring men to smell of something other than themselves. Though I have been fortunate enough to be married to a man who puts showering high on his list of trivial pursuits, I have nevertheless ensured that he has always been well-fragranced. This might have been an own goal, if there were any truth in the science.
What he doesn't know is that Le Labo's  Thé  Noir smells of leather and tobacco. I love it. If he but knew it (or read my Blog) it reminds me of my Grandfather who smoked "Baby's Bottom"
Trust me, my nose has a remarkable memory.
And you thought I was joking...

No comments:

Post a Comment