Friday 14 October 2016

Marmite - a Country Divided....

I bought my first pot of Marmite in twenty odd years, last week.
Ridiculously, I felt that this purchase was in someway responsible for the ensuing brouhaha. Just to make sure that my place in the universe is actually where I left it, I will do an experiment to see if the same thing happens when I buy Bisto Gravy granules which I last bought thirty six years ago when, as a newly-wed, I'd failed to equal my mother's gravy.

But boy, have we gone to town over this business with Unilever's stand-off with Tesco? Two Goliaths flexing their Marketmight. Unilever, using Brexit as reason for jacking up the price of that little bottle of yeast extract. What delightful irony that a company called Unilever should be fuelling the ongoing feud between the Leavers and the Remainers.
Marmite's advertising slogan is "You love it or you hate it".  Peter Brookes, cartoonist in The Times has a ball today with a large jar of MayMite, featuring a caricature of Theresa May "Rich in Hard Brexit. 100% Disastrous".  Oh yes, we may look across at America and sympathise with what is taking place in their elections, but it is not that we are sitting comfortably this side of the Atlantic. Not at all.
Spreading Discontent?

No comments:

Post a Comment