Friday 28 October 2016

Pausing for Pinter...

Sometimes you say yes to something because you think it will be good for you. When, in March this year, Dearest suggested going to see "No Man's Land", I didn't hear Pinter, I heard Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. Besides, it is over thirty years since I 'd seen and had been left bemused by a Pinter play. Surely I had become older, wiser and educated by the School of Life during that time?

We had already seen "Godot" played by McKellan and Stuart, together with Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup (a divine cast), and relished an opportunity to see McKellan and Stewart once more.
In that we were not disappointed: these two grandees of the theatre justified the not inconsiderable cost of the seats. Ah, but the play's the thing whereupon I caught Dearest 'King napping ten minutes in.
By the interval he awoke, saying, "Did I miss anything?"
I summed it up as succinctly as I could: "I am bewitched, buggered, and bewildered."
The second Act was more of the same, but the power nap had done him good. It was either that or the handsaw laugh of the woman behind that kept him awake.
So I am not going to pretend that I could make sense of it; it will be many different things to different people. But what I will say to you is that in future I will most likely avoid Pinter.
Make mine a Pinta Gin tonight, and go easy on the tonic.

No comments:

Post a Comment