Tuesday 8 August 2017

Simple pleasures...

Does watering count as gardening? If so, I've been doing an awful lot of gardening in someone else's garden these past two weeks. My brother away filming, and my sister-in-law away in Spain with their boys. This year they have developed a wonderful vegetable garden and built a green house. Really serious dedication to domestic agriculture. I just had to volunteer myself to keep everything alive until their return last Sunday.  I could not imagine anything more dispiriting than returning home to rotting tomatoes, or wilted seedlings. So I watered diligently even though the weather provided almost unremitting rain for the duration.
My reward was to pick as much produce as I possibly could. I have to say that leaving with my pockets stuffed full of baby tomatoes and the occasional runner bean made me feel that I was scrumping.
My joy was diminished, however, when one day upon my return I flopped down into an armchair without first removing my coat and pureed the contents of my pockets.
I took a Harrods plastic bag with me the next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment