Monday 7 August 2017

Rough Justice...

I think we tend to think, sometimes smugly, that in this country we have the best legal system in the world. However, over the past couple of months I have to say my faith has been rattled. Two cases in particular involve young women who have been given lenient treatment because the male judge has deemed them too intelligent to be punished appropriately.

The first, an Oxford undergraduate, Lavinia Woodward ,was apparently an aspiring heart surgeon. I'm  not convinced she was practising when she stabbed her boyfriend with a bread knife. Her crime, described by the judge as "pretty awful"was not obviously sufficiently awful to warrant a commensurate penalty as, he believed, it would put a stain on her future career. I should cocoa.

The second instance, last week, was when model/Business Management student, Natalia Sikorska, received a conditional discharge after stealing almost a thousand pounds worth of goods from Harrods. The judge praised her "considerable talents". For talents, read assets, my darlings.
Though not much cop at nicking things, obviously. Maybe he thought the Marcus Lupfer jacket, the Claudia Pierrot shoes and the Pinko handbag all went rather well together as an ensemble..The sheer deliberation of it all!  But what was that all about the silver knife she stole?
Ah, but maybe she was planning to stab her boyfriend in the leg...

I shake my head at the alarming message this is sending out. I would chat on, but I'm just off to Harrods to try my luck.
Don't worry. My lack of considerable talents will keep me on the straight and narrow.
Harrods prices are never a steal

No comments:

Post a Comment