Friday 5 May 2017

Sterling Performance....

Yesterday I went to a matinee in the West End. "The Girls". You probably haven't heard of it. As a title it really doesn't pack any punch. My daughter asked me today how "Girls on Girls" went. Now that is a catchy title, but I was quick to correct her.  It is the musical version of "Calendar Girls" with music by Tim Firth and Gary Barlow. Lively, funny lyrics, great singing. Dismal music, I thought.
A group of redoubtable  members of the Women's Institute, twenty years ago, in Yorkshire, raised  money for a cancer hospital by posing naked for a calendar. All tastefully done, with cakes and watering cans covering nethermost nipples. The daring enterprise was inspired by the loss of a husband to blood cancer. An immensely popular film and subsequent stage show continue to contribute to the charity.

All heart-warming stuff, I'm sure you'll agree, but something I have earnestly avoided until now. Knowing the premise, I have not actively sought something  calculated to make me cry before uplifting me. However, one of my dearest friends has been playing in the ensemble, until yesterday when she took on the role of Marie, the pain in the neck, naysayer who tries her best to quash the approval of the WI central office.
There she was, my wee pal from University, holding her own with flair and poise. Jane, whose determination to pursue an acting career, remains undiminished, is a classic example of someone who has followed her dream. It's a brutally romantic dream, yet to see her back in the West End, gives me enormous pleasure and pride. She kept her clothes on too.
This enables me to pin on my personal accolade to her. The Golden Bunion Award. 
Congratulations, my dear girl. Bravo!

                              

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your unwavering support, ma wee pal! So glad you were cast as Olivia opposite my Viola in Twelfth Night all those years ago - the start of a beautiful friendship. Jane x

    ReplyDelete