Friday 12 May 2017

Seeing Stars...

Last night we were catching up with Granchester. We have started at the beginning of series one, and are doing some intensive watching in order to be in the right place to watch the episodes my brother has directed, later this month. It is not exactly a labour of love, because the series, a Detective series set in the 1950s in the Cambridgeshire town of Granchester, is rather charming and, as it turns out, very entertaining.
Last night we saw a fine performance by Mark Bonnar as a Harold Shipman character who played the part of a doctor on a spree of mercy-killing.
"Now where've we see that chap before?"
A familiar question from my left. I have to say that I am pretty good at identifying where we've seen actors previously. (Though not as good as Son et lumiere who can make it into an Art-form.)
I reeled off, AppletreeYard, Catastrophe, Unforgotten. (Embarrassing, really. Sounding a little like Kathy Bates here, I am your number one fan, Mark Bonnar, and I had no idea, until that moment.)
In other words, we have seen so much of this actor, that when I was standing at the bus-stop yesterday, I was amazed to see Mark Bonnar walking down my High Street pushing a buggy. He was listening to an older couple, and I immediately made verification on account of the fact that the lady was speaking with a Scottish accent. Gotcha.
I found myself ridiculously pleased by this star-spotting. At first I thought it might be that it was because I'd seen him on the telly so much, I was beginning to hallucinate. I've read about this as a sign of incipient madness... Then I felt embarrassed that I felt so excited. How uncool is that? Particularly, as I have worked,  star-unstruck, with a number of well-known actors over the years.
I determined that it can only be that in retirement, I am not getting out enough. So I will remedy this immediately, if not sooner.
I will get out more. Looking for Mark Bonnar. Obvs.
Mr Bonnar will be very pleased to find himself in the Bunion Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment