Tuesday 10 January 2017

Cross words to self...

I have great craters in my brain where general knowledge should reside. I don't believe it's demonstrative of a degenerative process (here's hoping not) rather, that I never acquired the knowledge in the first place. 
In our school, it was Geography or History for O Level. No brainer for me. I was marginally less interested in Geography than I was in History. Besides History had the added attraction of Miss Sweeney. Face like a Bulldog, she would sit, with her bloomered legs, astride a single raised Victorian desk, snarling out a double-period of dictated notes. What was not to like? 
So today, as I attempt to kick start the brain into activity with the Times 2 Quick Crossword, I know instantly I am on a sticky wicket with "Yucatan native language (4 letters). Alright, you smug-smilers out there.. you got it. I know it now, of course, three clicks later. Go on then, clever clogs, "Chinese port (8 letters)" and no, I have no letter clues. Yes, not so smug now. Come and join me at the back of the class where we can scratch our heads together and make dandruff piles on the desk. You never did that? Nor me.
I have a friend who has offered to teach me how to solve cryptic crosswords. I would rather gnaw off my arm than learn this new trick. 
Yet learning a new trick would be good for the brain. But what about my old tricks? What happened to my piano lessons? Learnt for two years and neglected for four.. 
17 across today: "Piano string  silencer (6 letters)" Answer: "Dampner". Nice try.
Real answer : "Lack of resolve and self-discipline". 
But couldn't fit that in ..

I just want to be a Honky tonk woman.....

No comments:

Post a Comment