Thursday 26 January 2017

A new toy for the technically challenged....

I have an innate distrust of the name Bonnie. Do you remember Gone with The Wind? Little girl, Scarlett's daughter, on a pony, taking a jump. "Bonnieeeeeeee...!" as she tragically hits the dust. Then Bonnie Langford, a curly haired cutie, oozing with manufactured charm in the eighties. So when I asked my partner in grime, the redoubtable Ewelina, if she would like to choose any artist she fancied this morning to help the chores go with a swing, and she said, "Bonnie Tyler", I paused a moment. Actually, what she said at first was, "I like the old ones.." In my head I am thinking, "Fancy that. Frank Sinatra?". Then I realised  Ewelina, in her early thirties, would have old ones slightly different from my old ones. So I found her The Best of Bonnie Tyler and I have to say that Hero added a certain je ne sais quoi to the proceedings and made me review my somewhat baseless prejudice against all things Bonnie.

Now, you are quite possibly wondering how I was able to conjur up an album of choice, just like that.
Before Christmas, I overheard Grandpa telling the children that he was getting Grandma a Juke Box. I have to say I was not best pleased. Not least of all by him getting it in through the back door, so to speak, by involving our young people. Where was the bloody thing going to hang? It's just not that sort of house, you understand. I am a woman of refinement and taste. An aesthete, no less. A Juke Box fun, though it might be, would look completely out of place. A small box arrived. It contained a compact device called  Electric Jukebox. It fits at the back of your television, takes a couple of minutes to set up and plays through your TV. You have millions of songs you can call up either by voice command or using the keyboard. Even then I was sceptical. It didn't seem to respond to  my voice when I spoke into the microphone.
"You hold it in front of your mouth, Mum, not like you're doing Karaoke!"
Isn't it strange how young males assume that if not hard of hearing, you are certainly hard of understanding?
Anyway, it works really well. No sub to pay in the first year. And so my Dearest husband has been upgraded to Hero. By Bonnie Tyler. Such a pretty name.


No comments:

Post a Comment