Sunday 7 February 2021

New Year's ablutions..

When you turn on the oven and it immediately smells like you've got a full roast cooking, you know that your mother is calling you from beyond the grave to stick your head in it and get scouring. The new year, bereft as it is, of exciting things to do, has just seen me experiencing an orgiastic burst of joy by removing shedloads of burnt fat from the inside of my cooker. In this gleaming clean machine, I cooked a pretend Christmas cake. Well, the original one was divided into three and two sizeable slabs sent off to the banished families. Our third rapidly disappeared in the usual excesses of Christmas gluttony. Last night, however, I heard fumblings and foragings from the kitchen. Dearest was on the prowl for something sweet. Ridiculously he was still looking for Christmas cake that had long disappeared.(Mainly down his gullet. And possibly some down mine. Actually, I like to wear mine on my hips..) "I'll make you one tomorrow," I promised. So today I got out my Slimming World All Bran fruit cake recipe, and soaked the fruit in Brandy. (Bit off-piste that, not strictly S.World but never mind.) Well, dry January was rather tiresome. All I can say is that the cake mixture tasted divine. So much so that I swear the cooked cake is half the size its meant to be. Whilst I most likely am twice the size. Happy New Year! (A little behind? Not me. I've got a bloomin' big un.)

No comments:

Post a Comment