Tuesday 15 May 2018

Neutrons that Fire Together Wire Together.....

I'm a sucker for supplements. Do they work? I wouldn't know, as I never stick with one long enough to find out. Years ago I purchased a bottle of Gingko Biloba which is meant to improve memory. It amused my friends to hear that I kept forgetting to take it.
At my age any glitch in memory, or poor word retrieval strikes fear into my heart. Could this be...
you know... that thing? Oh Lord, it'll come to me....  You know what I mean?

So any article on memory immediately grabs my attention. Is there some new trick in the book that can help? There was one this morning that caught my eye. Most of it I already knew.
Mnemonics are a fine device, provided you can remember them in the first place.
Write things down physically rather than type them. Generational thing... I don't type reminders.. still at the post-it note-level of evolution.
Blueberries and brussel sprouts (though not combined). Yes, both feature in our diet.
No, the new item to me, was caffeine. Apparently, a dose of caffeine after you have seen what you wish to remember has significant impact on memory.

Then I read a fascinating article about Sea slugs. The study is published in eNeuro (which is obviously where I didn't find it).  The experiment  involved a certain amount of sea slug cannibalism.. (See what I mean? Riveting stuff..). Leading researchers in the University of California  claim to have achieved an RNA memory transplant between living individuals of the same species.

Wowzers! If I take an extra large slug of coffee I might remember to tell Dearest all about it at the end of the day...

The best coffee ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment