Wednesday 7 March 2018

Alessi Meets Whitefriars....

Have you noticed these days that we "curate" everything in our homes? It's not enough to whisk around with a duster. Plus a squirt of Pledge to let everyone know that the whiff of polish in the air is proof of domestic endeavour. Not enough to stick a couple of candlesticks on the mantlepiece and the present from Blackpool jug. No, no, no. You don't arrange your significant knick-knacks that you have acquired through gift, antique fair, or jumble sale over the years....You curate them. So that your motley bric-a-brac becomes an eclectic collection.

Well, stuff that. I've been re-arranging my vast and diverse miscellanea. There is nothing like a bit of redecorating upheaval for fresh evaluation. Because my experience is, that as soon as you dismantle a room with all its hitherto and barely-disguised crap, it becomes a mortal affront to re-stash it. Somehow in the process of removing everything, a small incipient desire for minimalism creeps in.
So this is why I have an almost perfect study and a very large box of schtuff in the kitchen. I am already not seeing it and find I can navigate my way round it with perfect ease. Dangerous.

Anyway, before I remove it,  I want to share a little display I curated earlier. (Listen to me... such a follower of the herd.) Son et Lumiere hasn't room for these Alessi Sundae bowls, would I store them? etc etc. You know the story. So I added them to my collection of glass. Just for fun. Then I will curate them into a box and put them at the back of the wardrobe.
I could be a curator when I grow up.



No comments:

Post a Comment