Friday 11 March 2016

Accents...and a rolling gait.

Recently I referred to my Icelandic accent coming on a treat. I lied. It really is more Swedish chef (think Muppets). Dearest isn't impressed either way.
My real accent when I think about it, is more Waitrose than Iceland, however. The voice of middle England. With a few renegade Welsh vowels left over from my youth.

I was brought up by Welsh parents on a council estate in Borehamwood. So not in the slightest bit posh. However, the Welsh accent was the first I heard and I stuck to it, or it stuck to me for many years.
My younger brother however, embraced the glottal stop (where water is pronounced wa-er, and bottle, bo-ul) so that he became no different from his peers.
If anyone asked me for directions, when I was a child, as soon as I spoke, they assumed I hadn't been in the area very long. I gave up explaining that I had been born and bred in Hertfordshire and took to saying that I came from Llanelli, South Wales which is where my grandparents lived.

As the years went by I developed an ability to adapt my accent. I found that when I finally left home to go to university in Stirling that my basic Welsh accent developed traces of Scottish which I find are reactivated every time I cross the border.

I remember, many years ago, as a student going to a party in Glasgow where one friend commented to another,
"I love the way she rolls her rrr s".
Back came the reply, "Ach, she canny help the way she walks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment