Tuesday 19 September 2017

How do you define exotic?



I don't like throwing food away. I'm a post-war baby, through and through, brought up to waste-not-want-not.  As a child, I never suggested giving away my unwanted peas to the starving infant in Africa; I forked up every last one of them.  And as an adult, it grieves me, when I find a furring red-pepper at the back of the fridge, that has to be jettisoned.

Today, however, I have thrown away some brand new mushrooms. Yes, nowt wrong with them. Pure lookism on my part. And the fact that they came all the way from South Korea, which, as we all know, is not North Korea where the man-in-charge seems intent on making mushroom clouds of his own. I could say that I didn't like the air miles they'd clocked up. I could say that I should have taken more notice of the country of origin. But really, I just didn't like the appearance of them. I didn't trust them. Because they look like Mutant Mushrooms. Really, grotesque gothic mushrooms, the stuff of nightmares.
Rude?
I know I am prone to the occasional bout of hyperbole but I would like to share these pictures with you. You make your own mind up. Would you fancy this lot, accompanying a fry-up? Or am I being incredibly parochial?


Or simply artistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment