Monday 4 July 2016

Towels: Fluffy and Metaphorical...

New towels didn't go down well with Husband-on-a-short-Fuse. I haven't bought them yet. I only casually mentioned them in a "New bathroom-new towels!" jaunty aside. Do you know, it's remarkable, isn't it, that you can be talking about things of great note and it is all white noise to your other half... Then you decide to mention new towels and suddenly, there's an awful lot of humphing and grumphing. I ignore it. Can't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar, I say.
I blame Brexit. And why not? Everyone else is blaming it. For everything. Politicians are mud-slinging on a monumental scale. It makes soap opera look tame. Wildly entertaining, if these morons were not in charge of our country. So Husband-under-a-black-cloud has nothing to do with my towel colour choice. (I am drawn to the green. But then you can't beat white.)
Someone else arrived under a black cloud last week and that was my Polish help, Ewelina the Magnificent. She has been in the country for nine years. She and her husband are settled and their only child has started nursery. She was worried about the way the vote had gone. She said she hadn't known how much the British hated the Poles. She had been reading the paper and was very upset. I did my best to explain to her what was going on, and how I felt sure that she still had a future in this country, but I was very upset on her behalf.
Our house has been renovated by a team that included three Polish workers. Their work ethic is exemplary and the quality of their work, second to none. Most people in this area appreciate the contribution to the work force made by the Polish community. Sadly, it is not the same everywhere in the country.
A few weeks ago I decided that I would offer a weekly lesson to Ewelina to improve her English. Her command of English has plateaued because she does not get to speak much during her working day.
Even when I engage her in conversation she is almost running on the spot in her desire to get back to the job in progress. So I am taking her in hand.
I might have thrown in the towel as far as working in a school is concerned, so I am very happy to be picking up a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment